Welcome to Tribbeck.com

STLCutter 2 - Day 16

It's been a long break from this project - I had aimed to do some more work at the end of December, just before Christmas, but we had some snow which caused traffic chaos, so I decided I would spend more time at home. I then planned to do it at the end of January - yet more snow prevented that idea.

So I decided to wait until there's no chance of snow (although there may be some in two days time - although I don't think it'll be that bad).

Anyway, after a 4 month absence, my first goal was to look at how much rust had accumulated.

Click to open a larger image Click to open a larger image

Luckily not much - it's just surface rust, and most of it rubs off.

Back on with the build! I've had this laser for quite a while - maybe 15 years - and I had temporarily misplaced it for a while. I had been clearing out my loft and came across it (along with another one which isn't working very well). I believe they came from a fax machine.

Click to open a larger image

I had bought a small laser diode for this, along with a cross-hair generator. The laser diode was a bit weak, and also I didn't like the size of the beam, so when I found this laser, I was quite pleased. This is also easier to mount, since there's plenty of "meat" around it. With the cross-hair generator, this pattern is displayed:

Click to open a larger image

I found that the side of the router has an ideal place to mount it, and with some cable-ties holding it in place:

Click to open a larger image

This would be a known offset from the start of the block, and all the programs that generates G-code will use that. The user would align the cross at the right place, and then move the milling bit to just above the base.

I still hadn't mounted the X-axis cable chain, so I used a small bit of angle-iron to hold the top:

Click to open a larger image

Which made the cable run look like:

Click to open a larger image

I also connected the stepper motor:

Click to open a larger image

And made some brackets to hold a 6-way mains socket (6 should be ample):

Click to open a larger image

I threaded some wires through both the cable chains, and stuck some self-adhesive cable tie holders to hold the cables in place, and the end of the cable chain stuck down with some very sticky double-sided tape (I can't drill a hole in the guard because any bolts will protrude through and hit the bearing mount). I also spot-welded the two parts of the guards in place.

Click to open a larger image

And with the X-axis moved all the way down:

Click to open a larger image

I then attached the earth connector to the frame (I know it's not level - I did try to level it, but the mounting holes need drilling out).

Click to open a larger image

I then did a bit of wire placement (some of the axes wires need extending), and also connecting the earths. The two X-axis stepper drivers were paralleled up as well.

Tomorrow, I'll drill the connecting blocks for 15mm, and solder some of the wires together. Hopefully in the afternoon, I'll be getting it moving again.

« Back to index

Updated: 2011-06-08 20:41:37 | Comments: 0 | Show comments | Add comment
© Copyright 1997-2013
Tribbeck.com / Jason Tribbeck
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.