Day 7 - Saturday 15th March 2003
Because this was the seventh day, I should've rested. It was a bright and sunny weekend, so I decided I would take it easy. Which doesn't mean to say that I didn't do anything.
As the last few days had concentrated on bits that move, I wanted to do some static construction. As a result, I decided to make the cockpit window.
The first thing to do was to make the front part of the windscreen. This would give an idea as to the size of the windscreen. As the front panel is an equalateral triangle, the dimensions would be easy. The bottom of the small bar was 70mm down from the top, and the top of the larger bar was 200mm down from the top:
The next stage was to define the shape of the sides. In the Witchspace paper model, I'd made the sides of the windscreen triangular, but I decided that it didn't look right. Using two steel rulers, a length of bar and a clamp, I formed the shape I wanted:
Using these as guides, the sides were then made:
Then, the framework between the top and bottom of the windscreen was removed, and all the welds tidied up:
Now that the cockpit was done, it was time for a pilot. I went out and bought a "Snow board extreme" Action Man™ - the outfit looked bulky, like a spacesuit:
Out of the packet (and without his boots), this is roughly how I'd envisage him in the ship:
And in the rear section (inspecting my handiwork!):
The orange and black combination I wasn't too keen on, so the last job for the day was to respray him silver:
After that, the 30m of steel I'd bought was now down to around 1.5m, which means it's time to buy some more...